Wednesday, April 20, 2016

"Mom can we get some ice cream?"

"Mom Can we get some ice cream?"


Senior year is winding down. The "baby" is nearing graduation day. Eighteen years goes faster than you think, thanks Kenny(Chesney). I guess he was right when he said (or sang) the oh so true ballad "Don't Blink." How can this be? The baby of the family will adorn the white cap and gown and make her way down the aisle of the same church that her sisters did a mere 10 and 8 years ago for the commencement ceremony. A new chapter in her life, a new chapter in our lives.

Some days I'm perfectly fine with the indisputable fact that my youngest child is graduating. Other days it's like a cruel confliction going on in my mind. Now, don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy watching my kids grow in every stage of their life. I've been there done that twice before and for crying out loud I lived through that just fine! This time it's not only change for her, but it is change for my husband and myself. Empty nester? I remember hearing that term when I was younger and thinking old people are empty nesters...yeah old people (roll my eyes). So here we are heading into a new stage of our lives. A new season...for all of us. Our youngest daughter will embark on a new journey, in a new city in the fall. Pursuing her college career on a beautiful campus in a place that she has become familiar with since her sister made it her home just about a year ago. It will be quiet in my house, probably too quiet. I may get used to it, but I'm not sure I really want to. Well not just yet that is. My guess is that it will probably lead to more blogging.

Our baby has always been just that "the baby" the one we could hold onto longer. The one that we said had a long way to go before being big like her sisters. The baby....it seems so cliche. We have just a little more than four short weeks before the reality of graduation hits. My stressed out Senior is closing in on the end of her high school career. Where she made memories that will last a lifetime and friends that will carry on through college and what lies beyond. 

The last week has been filled with graduation details. From the delivery of the cap and gown, to making invitations, ordering grad party supplies, Pinterest overload, as well as full swing lacrosse season (8-0 baby!) and Senior prom in less than two weeks (breathe mama...breathe...).  Two days ago I received a shipping confirmation that my recently ordered grad party supplies were on their way. I was excited and finally feeling accomplished, as it seems that as the years go on I tend to procrastinate more. Yesterday I received the first of three shipments, today the second. My daughter saw me bring it in off the front porch. "What's that?" "Your banner or at least one of them." I replied. She watched as I opened the small rectangular cardboard package. I released the tape that secured the tightly wrapped roll. Slowly, I unveiled what was inside, the Congratulations Graduate, Class of 2016 banner in all its glory. My daughter's eyes welled up with tears. A reaction I wasn't expecting. There it was, I guess, the first reality of the transition to adulthood. The fact that she will be graduating was now evident. The place she called home for more than 18 years will be 400 miles away come September. Yes she will be okay and yes she will grow wings she never knew she had. And I can't wait to watch! But today as she cried from the stress of it all coming to a head. It was like watching my baby fall off the bike when she was uncertain if she could ride it. I reached out to hug her and tell her everything will be alright. I know it will and  I know she will transition just fine. I gave her another reassuring hug and wiped away the tear on her face as tears filled mine. 

As she walked out the door to Lacrosse practice with tears she turned back around and said "Mom can we get some ice cream later?"  Of course we can get some ice cream... I will always want to get ice cream. Not for the reason that it is an exceptionally delicious treat, that I can't turn down but for the time I will spend with my ever growing baby girl. So if you have the time today treat yourself or someone you love to some ice cream~because we all know it really isn't about the ice cream. 




Best start putting first things first, 
Cause when your hourglass runs out of sand
You can't flip over and start again
Take every breath God gives you for what it's worth...

No comments: