Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Christmas Story House

A Christmas Story House in Cleveland, Ohio






As I turned onto W. 11th Street my eyes were peeled, waiting for it...looking...watching...THEN there it was, in all it's glory. A mustard yellow, craftsman style home with green trim, a string of c-7 or c-9 lights along the front porch roof. The picture window lit up by nothing other than the holiest of holies- a fishnet stocking covered, stiletto wearing, lady leg lamp aka "the major award." I felt like Ralphie peering through the Higbee Department Store window at the Holy Grail of Christmas gifts- THE Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle!




It was home to the Parker Family in 1983's A Christmas Story. The story is set in 1940, in Hammond, Indiana, though the house is in Cleveland, Ohio. The home was used in filming of the movie, as well as a soundstage and filming locations in Canada. The history of the purchase, restoration and opening of the home is quite interesting. The house was acquired on ebay, renovated, and opened for A Christmas Story enthusiasts everywhere, including myself (and my 25 year old daughter who delighted in the fact that we were venturing to Ralphie and Randy's childhood home)!


In addition to the house, there is a museum and gift shop across the street. You must purchase your tickets in the gift shop to tour the home.


The house is all hands on. You can touch (and play) with everything! I felt like a kid on Christmas! I could not wait to step through the threshold of the Parker home. you have a tour guide, who is full of interesting facts. I really wanted to listen to her but I could not help but play house in a A Christmas Story kind of way. From a family portrait on the wall, there is a wooden crate with FRAGILE stenciled, a decked out Christmas Tree, bright red Lifebuoy soap in the bathroom, the completely replicated kitchen, boys bedroom, major award, Red Ryder bb gun and even a gift from Aunt Clara-the pink bunnysuit with matching bunny slippers fit for any four year old girl or yourself, they have them in small, medium and large for you to relive the complete horror Ralphie did that Christmas in 1940. Take lots of pictures and play out the antics of The Parker family. You will have sweet memories for many years...we did!




The museum across the street holds many of the original props and costumes worn by the actors including Randy's snowsuit, the Higbee's Christmas window display, hats, books...and many more.  The gift shop, well I wanted everything! Including my very own gift from Aunt Clara. I could not pass up a bar of Lifebuoy soap.



I cannot explain the complete joy I had visiting this house. I was intrigued, I felt like it was 1940 and I was part of the somewhat familiar dysfunctional Parker family.


If you get the chance I encourage you to road trip to 3159 W. 11th St., Cleveland, Ohio.


The cost of the tour is $10 and some change (adult), and they offer a AAA discount. Completely worth it!





















No comments: