Monday, January 19, 2015

I still love Buckeyes...the candy that is

One Saturday afternoon phone call. One sunny Saturday in January...


My home number happens to be linked to a now defunct (at least I believe it to be) Amusement Vendor/Contractor. I receive many calls on a daily (sometimes), weekly (usually), monthly (always) basis. Calls range from renting a dunking machine to replacement parts for Laughing Sal...the latter was a message left today by a man named "Bob."

I listened to his message. I shook my head. The words played over in my head just like they normally do..."I am not an Amusement vendor, no Laughing Sal here, and no I'm not calling you back..." at this point I normally delete the phone call from my voice-mail and listen to the next. Today I didn't delete, I left it. I went on to listen to message number two. Once again "Bob" in search of his Laughing Sal parts. So I thought; wow this guy must be adamant, he really wants to revamp this Laughing Sal! I went on to message number three. Not Bob, thankfully. I left the message on the VM and went about my business. I could not help but think of this guy Bob and his message. "Maybe I should call him back," "he really sounded like this Laughing Sal thing is a big deal." So what did I do? I decided to look up this Laughing Sal guy, from Santa Cruz beach. THIS is what I found!
Oh boy-If you know me and the enjoyment I get from Antiquing and weird quirky things- (e.g.The love of the "Talking Christmas Tree" from the old LS Goods in Wheeling, W.Va.) well you know I probably watched this video several times over AND I called Bob! Someone needs to save Sal, or Bob because he needs info on Sal! So I dialed (push buttoned) the number. Here goes nothing...

Ring...Ring...Me:"Hello? Bob?...Hi, my name is Michele, you called about replacement parts for Laughing Sal?" HA! Did I really just call a guy to tell him he had the wrong number? Yes I did! I felt bad for him and Laughing Sal. My conversation with this guy lasted 20 minutes. I had no forwarding information to give him just a genuine;I'm sorry I don't think the company you are trying to reach is in business anymore. I went on and explained that I never call anyone back normally but in this case I just felt like I should, otherwise I may hear from him again and frankly I felt bad for the guy (and Laughing Sal). He thanked me for the phone call and I replied with the usual- no problem. I mentioned I was in Ohio and I hoped that there was someone in California that could help him in his quest for replacement parts.

Bob then questioned back "You are from Ohio?" I said "Yes Sir that is correct, I'm from Ohio" What I heard next left me laughing like Sal. Bob said; "I'm not from California, I'm actually from Oregon and do you know what people from Oregon think of People from Ohio right now?"  In all of my sarcastic manner I replied "That we are National Champions and your Ducks are not?" Bob, laughed...thankfully. I went on to assure Bob that I was not really a Buckeye fan (not a hater, just not exactly a die-hard buckeye fan). Bob was actually an Oregon State Beaver. I added; "I still love my Buckeyes, the candy that is!" Little did I realize yet another turn in the conversation. Bob: "So what exactly is a Buckeye?" Me: "It is a nut that grows inside of a soft shell on a Buckeye tree." Bob:"So you have Buckeye Orchards? Are these nuts edible?" He then explained how Oregon is famous for their Hazelnuts and that they have Hazelnut (Filbert) orchards in the state of Oregon. OH MY...lol. Me: "No Bob we have Apple Orchards not Buckeye Orchards, I'm afraid you can not actually eat a buckeye, the buckeye I am referring to is a peanut butter candy with a chocolate coating made to resemble a Buckeye nut." Wow did I really just call a guy to tell him he had the wrong number and end up explaining to him what a Buckeye was? Yes that is correct, I did. Bob: "Well thank you for clearing that all up for me." Apparently,it was quite the issue between he and his friends during the game. Me: "Well Bob if you would like to give me your address I will gladly send you a buckeye (a real one, from Ohio)." Bob laughed and said "no, no, no-but I do have a story to tell to my friends and I will tell them I met a real Buckeye over the phone and I do have to say a really nice one at that!" Me: "Well thank you Bob. I'm glad I could be of some help to you today. Good luck on your Laughing Sal restoration, take care." Bob: "Thank you, I really appreciate you calling me." 

Funny the way two people, states apart, who will never meet each other (possibly), can make an odd connection all because one had the wrong number. 

For all curious non-Ohioans reading this...Brutus the Buckeye (mascot for The Ohio State Buckeyes)
and the real Buckeye "nut" and if  I was a an OSU fan I would conclude with GO BUCKS! But I'm not so...GOD BLESS! :)







1 comment:

Unknown said...

More people should really read your blog. Ahh Michele that was a good one! ;-)

kel